Monday, October 24, 2011

Recipe: Winter Root Vegetable Soup

The other day my friend gave me a whole bunch of root vegetables. I love vegetables! And I knew right away that I wanted to make a soup out of them. Now, most recipes that involve root vegetables in a soup involve making a puree out of them (yuk!). I decided that wouldn't happen to them wonderful veggie. So I made up my own soup recipe. It turned out pretty good too!

Ingredients: 
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 shallots chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots chopped
4 small turnips chopped
3 beets cubed
1 onion chopped
1 sweet potato cubed
1 regular potato cubed
5 cups broth (I used a veggie broth made out of Better than Bouillon)
1 cup water
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp oregano
Now, you can really use whatever type of veggies you have on hand. Get creative!

Step 1: In a big soup pot add the oil, garlic, and shallots and cook over medium high heat. Let it cook for about 5 minutes (or however long it takes you to start chopping veggies).
Step 2: Add in all the veggies and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes. Just long enough for them to start to soften.
Step 3: Add in the broth & water, salt & pepper, rosemary, and oregano. Once it boils, turn down the heat & simmer for about 10 more minutes. 
Step 4: Serve & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...