Sunday, October 30, 2011

DIY: Zipper Face Costume

In spirit of Halloween, I thought I'd share with all of you my Halloween costume for last night. It's a great last minute cheap costume, plus it's really easy to do!


When I say this is cheap and easy... really I mean it! All you need is:

A Zipper
Spirit Gum
Spirit Gum Remover (you'll want that later)
Toilet Paper (The thinner the better)
Red Face Paint
Dark Eyeliner
Gel Blood


I think I spent about $12 for the whole costume! The zipper I got at Jo-Ann's Fabrics. The red face paint I had left over from a few years ago. The gel blood came from a Halloween store. You can get the spirit gum & remover there as well, but I actually found some for half the price at Savers. And as you are doing this in a bathroom, I'm sure you'll find some toilet paper.

So first just play around with your zipper. Try to figure out how open you want it, where you want. Once you've got it like you want it, hold it up to your face and trace the inside (the part where all the blood & gore will be) with your dark eyeliner. I used black, but I'm sure brown or dark blue would work too. 

In that triangle you are going to take small wads of toilet paper and glue it your face with the spirit gum. This will give that area a really fleshy look. Yum. Don't be afraid to layer it or crumple it. It looks ridiculous now, but it will be great later!

Now take the spirit gum & apply some to the zipper & to your face where the zipper will fit. Keep attaching it until it's on. This is the longest part. So have patience and take it slow-ish.

At this point you should have a zipper on your face with toilet paper. Fun!

Take your dark eyeliner and make some random lines on the toilet paper. This will help to create depth.

Now take your red face paint and some sponge like thing or even a brush, and apply the paint over the toilet paper. Make sure to get it all so there isn't an ounce of white poking out!

Now the gel blood it really what brings everything together. It gives it a wet texture look without being wet. Just ooze it on all over in the flesh spot. 

At this point you are done! There are some extra things you can do to jazz it up a bit more. You can apply concealer to your face & the zipper to help it blend better. Or you can apply zombie make up. Really, the possibilities are endless!

Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...